ADVANTAGES OF LASIK SURGERY
- • It corrects the entire amount of refractive error in almost 90% of patients.
- • Very little pain is associated with LASIK
- • Visual correction is achieved by the same day or the day after the surgery
- • LASIK doesn’t require bandages or stitches
- • Resume your routine activities by the next day itself
1. Are you a suitable candidate??
Yes if you are 18 years or older with no significant change in your spectacle or contact lens prescription for the last two years. A comprehensive eye examination is carried out prior to the surgery to rule out any abnormalities.There should not be any pre existing eye diseases such as cataract, glaucoma, retinal detachment or Keratoconus. You should not currently be taking certain prescription drugs such as oral prednisolone. Lasik is contra-indicated in Pregnancy or in auto immune disorders.
2. How much time the surgery would take?
It will take 10 minutes per eye for the entire surgical procedure, while the amount of time when the laser shall be exposed to the eye will be less than a minute or so. Lasik is done on an outpatient procedure and you can go home the same day after the procedure.
3. How safe is LASIK??
Lasik is now considered widely by most refractive surgeons all over the world. Safety by far being the topmost reason for its preference. A low complications rate ie less than 2% has been reported.
4. Will both eyes be treated at the same time?
Yes. Treating both eyes at the same time has been proved safe and convenient.
5. What precautions to be taken after the surgery??
It is very important to strictly follow the anti biotics, anti inflammatory and lubricating eye drops as prescribed by your ophthalmologist. Your eyes will not be bandaged but a protective shield may be asked to use to prevent rubbing and accidental trauma to the eye. You will be asked to avoid crowded and dusty places for first 2-3 days. You will be advised not to drive for the next 24hrs after the surgery.
6. How soon can I resume my work?
Vision would improve without glasses immediately after the surgery. You will be able to drive and do your routine activities comfortably from the very next day. Vision will gradually improve within a months’ time. You can resume your office within two days of surgery.
7. What will be the follow up routine?
Generally, most doctors will see their Lasik patients the following day, at one week, one month, three months, six months and then yearly, if there are no complications.
8. What range of refractive errors can be corrected with LASIK?
LASIK can effectively correct Myopia up to -10.00D, Hyperopia up to +4.00D and Astigmatism up to 3.00D. To determine the safe limits of refractive correction your corneal thickness will be measured prior to the surgery.